Close search results
Close search results

Fixing Broken Breaks on Maclaren Techno XLR Buggy

Yes, we have entered baby territory

May 21st, 2016

For reasons that may be related to my absence from this blog lately, I found myself in a situation with a used baby stroller in need of repairs. The problem was that the breaks would not click into place. After looking into it, it turned out that it could be easily fixed with some spare parts bought online, plus some basic tools and, of course, my not-so-valuable spare time. Read on for a step for step guide.

The Maclaren Techno XLR.
The Maclaren Techno XLR.

The Problem

In my case, the cause turned out to be worn down brake cogs. They are made of plastic and as they wear down over time, the breaks will have a harder time of working properly.

This is the back right wheel pair. The problem is shown here. The cogs are worn down almost flat and the break cannot easily be pushed in between.
This is the back right wheel pair. The problem is shown here. The cogs are worn down almost flat and the break cannot easily be pushed in between.

The Solution

Luckily, new cogs can be purchased online. A suitable shop is just a quick google away. The wheels are held in place by 8mm star locks (wheel retainers), three per axle, so you need to get a few of these as well.

The spare parts I found online: Four break cogs (two per wheel pair) and a bunch of star locks. With international shipping, this set me back around £20.
The spare parts I found online: Four break cogs (two per wheel pair) and a bunch of star locks. With international shipping, this set me back around £20.
The wheel caps are held in place by three black plastic clips. Push them with a screwdriver or similar and the cap should pop off.
The wheel caps are held in place by three black plastic clips. Push them with a screwdriver or similar and the cap should pop off.
The wheel with the cap removed.
The wheel with the cap removed.
There are three star locks on each axle, holding the wheels in place. These need to be removed.
There are three star locks on each axle, holding the wheels in place. These need to be removed.
Is there a neat way of doing this? I used a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a few more tools I had nearby just for the sake of it. It was a bit of a struggle.
Is there a neat way of doing this? I used a pair of pliers, a screwdriver and a few more tools I had nearby just for the sake of it. It was a bit of a struggle.
Finally!
Finally!
Star locks removed. The wheels can now easily be removed.
Star locks removed. The wheels can now easily be removed.
On the left, the old cogs. Compared to the ones on the right, they are badly worn.
On the left, the old cogs. Compared to the ones on the right, they are badly worn.
Pop a fresh cog on. And a new washer felt good here - or reuse the old one.
Pop a fresh cog on. And a new washer felt good here - or reuse the old one.
With the second wheel on, completing the pair. I used the tools in the picture for putting the star locks on. And possibly a hammer.
With the second wheel on, completing the pair. I used the tools in the picture for putting the star locks on. And possibly a hammer.
I settle for two star locks for now.
I settle for two star locks for now.
It works! The new cogs create enough space for the breaks to lock into place.
It works! The new cogs create enough space for the breaks to lock into place.

Possible alternative solution

I have noticed that the front wheels have identical brake cogs, even though there are no front breaks. The cogs in the front also do not seem to wear nearly as much as the ones in the back. This means you could probably use the front cogs as spare parts and simply switch them with the ones in the back. This is a little more work, but you also save a little since you only need to purchase star locks and no new brake cogs.

Conclusion

While there are still a few things to be brushed up on this particular stroller, having the brakes working properly certainly increases safety quite a bit. Definitely worth my time and the small investment.

July 10th, 2016 22:10
Vati

Känns tryggt att vagnen går att bromsa.
Ytterligare en säkerhetsdetalj för släktens fortlevnad!

September 10th, 2017 03:32
Irina

You are genius! I was ready to change wheels in my maclaren but this is much cheaper solution! Thank you for the article!

September 10th, 2017 09:00
Erik

Hi Irina,

glad to be of help! We are still using the buggy without issues, now over a year later, so we are quite happy ourselves.

November 7th, 2017 16:11
Kathryn

Hi Erik-
This is exactly what I need to do for my Maclaren. Did you find a place that sold the whole set like that, the 4 cogs and the star locks? or did you need to order the pieces individually. I'm searching and can't seem to find a kit like the one you have.
Thanks.

November 7th, 2017 21:51
Erik

Hi Kathryn,

even though I did not get this myself, it looks like the shop I bought the parts from also has a kit that I believe should work:

https://www.babyboom2000.co.uk/products/maclaren-techno-xt-xlr-rear-axle-repair-kit.html

The parts are sold individually also.

Good luck!

November 12th, 2017 17:15
Andreas

Hey Erik,

Thanks for taking the time to write down your experience, it encouraged me to do the repair on a 7year old mc laren we bought second hand - and today the parts finally arrived and I could do the repair.

It involved turning my toolbox inside out to deal with the starlocks in both ways, but all worked out and after maybe 45 minutes everything was done.

Cheers,

Andreas

November 17th, 2017 09:14
Erik

Hi Andreas,

I'm glad it worked out. And yes, those star locks are terrible to deal with! Better get a few spare ones when you order, just in case they get damaged while installing.

Leave a comment






This will just take a second.

Submitting your comment...
  2017